The George Washington University - The George Washington University School of Business Master of Science in Finance
The MSF Program builds upon a bachelor's or master's degree in business administration or other quantitative disciplines and emphasizes both financial theory and quantitative methods in financial management. Students engage in applied research and modeling, using a variety of large professional databases and computer software packages. They explore the international and regulatory dimensions of finance, and focus on risk management, financial engineering, banking, corporate finance, real estate, and portfolio analysis and management.
Our Program attracts individuals from diverse professional backgrounds promoting endless global networking possibilities. The Program's unique structure promotes employment in a variety of prestigious financial institutions in the US and abroad.
Curriculum (courses, subject modules)
FINA 6271 Financial Modeling and Econometrics
FINA 6272 Global Financial Markets
FINA 6273 Cases in Financial Management and Investment Banking
FINA 6274 Corporate Financial Management and Modeling
FINA 6275 Investment Analysis and Global Portfolio Management
FINA 6276 Financial Engineering and Derivative Securities
FINA 6277 Comparative Financial Market Regulation and Development
FINA 6278 Financial Theory and Research
FINA 6279 Real Estate Finance and Fixed-Income Security Valuation
FINA 6280 Financial Institution Management and Modeling
FINA 6281 Cases in Financial Modeling and Engineering
FINA 6282 Advanced Financial Econometrics and Modeling
Required diploma(s) :
- Advanced Mathematics (6) ◦3 Credits Must Be Calculus •Microeconomics (3) •Macroeconomics (3) •Financial Accounting (3) •Managerial Finance (3) •Statistics (3) Additional coursework, degrees, and/or work experience in these five areas are considered favorably in the selection process.
Tuition & Fees
Between 69000 and 87600 USD
- A complete online application with a $80 non-refundable application fee
- Three letters of recommendation submitted online- (We will move on decisions if we receive two positive ones)
- Statement of professional career goals
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- GMAT or GRE score (test date within 5 years), but could be waived based on work experience
Additional Requirements for International Students
- Visa Request and Financial Certificate form (complete both sides)
- English Language Requirement - graduates from countries where English is not an official language and non-native English speakers are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS). A minimum score of 550 (paper-based) or 213 (computer-based) or 80 (Internet-based) on the TOEFL or an overall band score of 6.0 on the academic IELTS with no individual band score below 5.5, is required for consideration for admission. Students with a TOEFL score of 550 to 599 are considered for admission, but must take the GW English for Academic Purposes Placement Test. Depending on test results, the study of English for Academic Purposes may be required. The student may be restricted in the number and type of courses that can be taken. Students assigned English for Academic Purpose courses should anticipate additional related tuition expenses as well as a possible extended period of time required to complete their degree program.
Institution Codes for Standardized Scores
- GMAT: QK4-4F-18
- GRE: 5246
- TOEFL: 5246
Employment opportunities & career impact
Employment opportunities :
Graduates from the MSF Program are employed by Insurance companies, investment houses, international and government agencies, and the banking industry. Another popular destination for MSF graduates are investment banks, hedge funds, and other private financial corporations in Washington DC and New York City. Many students are employed as financial analysts, financial engineers, traders and other positions in risk management, fixed income and portfolio management. The Graduate career center at the GW School Of Business offers resources for career searches. The MSF Program also sponsors several networking events tailored specifically for our students.
Video interview with the program director
Additional information / brochure
Request info / Application